5.02.2011

Happy Springtimes!

Oh, Springtimes! How I missed you! Living below the Mason-Dixon line these past MANY years caused me to forget what you were all about. I'm so glad we can be friends again! Instead of a week of vicious pollen followed by the blistering heat of Summer, we can enjoy together gentle breezes, warm sun, and at least a solid month of daffodils, hyacinths, and violets.

We can also enjoy outdoor activities! So, peeps (and by peeps, I mean FunnyNurse and my sister), it's true I haven't posted in a while. It's also true that the interruption in posts coincided with the Hubs's first stretch of days off since this little project started. I see you over there, all smug, assuming that he got me off track - that we spent those days gorging on bacon and butter, rolling around in bed, and vegging out in front of Battlestar Galactica. But you would be WRONG! Except about the Battlestar Galactica part. And the bed part - but not the rolling. We are way too fat for vigorous rolling. That's not to say we wouldn't roll downhill if placed horizontally at the top.

But ANYWAY...the real reason I haven't posted is that on his first day off, we went to a bike swap and he bought me a bike! A bicycle, not a motorcycle. Let's not get carried away here. And because of that bike purchase, almost every day since has been spent outside, biking up and down the little hills and valleys near our house, the wind in my hair and the bugs in my teeth. OK, not really the bugs - but, as my sister will attest, I did get bugs caught in my teeth while bike-riding when we were little. No, not on purpose. Gross.

Don't get me wrong - Jillian still made her appearance this last week. Twice with Hubby (I know, right? Shocker!), and twice by myself. Well, Sammy was there. He's gotten a little more "calm" about the whole thing...not surprisingly, that coincided with me finally figuring out how to turn Jillian's voice off but keep the music on. It's amazing that some producer had the foresight to include that option on the DVD...but, I guess, not so surprising. Clearly, my sister, my husband, my dog, and I are not the only ones in the world bothered by her nerve-grating screeching. But even with her voice turned off, the abs portion of the workouts has gotten more challenging, with the addition of a 13-lb. dog on my chest, licking my face and preventing normal breathing. I know it will make me stronger in the end.

I do have to admit, though, I've lost count of the days...I think we are on Day 15 now...right? Who cares. I know I'm going to keep going after 30 days anyway - the spurt (I know, gross word) of energy this whole thing has brought me was exactly what I needed to get past the blah of Muddy March in Vermont. It's been nice feeling like I'm actually doing something GOOD for myself. And, here's the kicker: without even really realizing it, I have lost 5.5 pounds! I've just been chugging away, totally forgetting about the scale in the bathroom, and I stepped on it this morning and BAM! For once, I feel like my efforts are starting to pay off.
And now, I'm going to ride my bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment