7.26.2011

Juicing for Joy

Really, Tanner? "Aunt Flo"? Please never use that euphemism again. Ever.

My excuse is that I had REAL company in town - my parents. While we ate most of our meals at home, and used a lot of fresh veggies from our CSA farm share, we also ate a lot of ice cream. What? It was super hot and I don't have air conditioning. I think ice cream was appropriate.

Anyway, I did do Zumba once while they were here, in the hopes that they would see how fun it is and do it with me, but instead they just laughed at me. We did make them walk around a lot downtown, until Mom almost pooped herself once (combo of too much food and wine and unusual physical activity), so that put an end to general movement of any kind. Now that the heat wave has broken, the Hubs and I can get back out on our bikes and for walks (as long as my still-healing ankle can take it). However, we are only going to be doing light exercise for the next couple of weeks, because we are juicing.

Yes, people, juicing. No, not like taking steroids. Like turning all of the fresh veggies and fruits in Vermont into delicious, unfiltered juice! And using the pulp in soups! It's going to be fantastic!

Don't share my enthusiasm? Before you make a decision, watch the Joe Cross documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", about his struggle to find a cure for a rare immune disease for which conventional medicine was not working. Turns out, the cure was hidden in increasing his fresh veggie and fruit intake, which in turn helped him lose over 100 pounds.

I do not have a rare immune disease. I'm not 100 pounds overweight (although 60 is close enough). I am, however, at high risk for diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, and no matter how many veggies I seem to cook, we're still not eating enough. Therefore, we are going to drink them! And then use the pulp in other recipes. It's an experiment - we're going out on a limb here - but I can't see how it will hurt. We may even try an actual "juice fast" (kind of a misnomer, because you're not really fasting - you still get plenty of calories, protein, fiber, and nutrients) to break our current eating habits, which, while not horrible, are not ideal.

I thought this would be a good time to talk about stats, since I'll want to compare the before and after.

Weight: 235 (I've gained back 2 of the 5 lbs. I lost during our Jillian Michaels challenge)
Waist: 42 inches
Hips: 49 inches
Thigh: 30 inches
Upper Arm: 17 inches

My plan is to incorporate 1-2 juices a day for the first few days, to get our systems used to it, before beginning to replace any meals with juicing. We'll be using kale, cabbage, celery, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, beets, and any other veggies we get from our CSA, along with apples, plums, and citrus fruits. We're still eating dairy, eggs, and meat right now, but the goal is to eventually reduce the dairy and only eat meat once a week (just the organic, free-range pork and chicken we get from the CSA).

Off to make my first juice now!

No comments:

Post a Comment